It might be nearly impossible to ever own too many lipsticks but with the cost of some brands out there, it can feel impossible to indulge in all the colors the cosmetic world has to offer. But that’s where bargain drug store brands come in to save the day.
For this review, I recently purchased lip stick from Wet n Wild’s MegaLast Lip Color line to see if it holds up to its more expensive competition. The color I bought was a deep plum called Vamp It Up. I didn’t expect much given that the tube was only about two dollars. I assumed it would be transparent and dull and that it would look streaky every time I rubbed my lips together. I’m happy to say, none of these things turned out to be true.
- It’s about eight to ten times cheaper than its more costly counterparts.
- This lipstick was very pigmented. After one or two swipes on your top and bottom lip, you’re completely covered.
- When compared to the opacity and coverage of MAC’s Cyber, I’d say Vamp It Up comes pretty close to the competition.
- Glides on smoothly and has Vitamins A and E.
- Has a semi-matte finish and won’t leave your lips feeling dry after application.
- Of course there are reasons that MAC and other products may be more expensive (often due to the different ingredients), but if all you want is full lip coverage with a vibrant color, then this is the way to go.
- It lasts for hours. Even after eating and drinking, it doesn’t completely disappear from your lips. All you need is one swipe for reapplication.
- No strong odor.
- No stinging/tingling feeling.
- Has a wide selection of colors from pinks and nudes to reds and berries.
- I would definitely not recommend this brand for those who desire only natural ingredients as it contains some chemicals and aluminum as well as synthetic wax which may cause allergic reactions for some.
- This brand doesn’t yet carry some of the more bold colors one may want such as blues, blacks, greens, and pastels
- I noticed that the color bleeds a bit outside of the lip line. Not sure if that’s the lipstick itself or maybe caused by me rubbing my lips together throughout the day (though I haven’t experienced this problem with other lipsticks).
Overall, I love the MegaLast Lip Color so much I now own several different colors. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a strong all day lip color on a budget. To enhance the look, add a lip liner and gloss.
Try out Wet n Wild’s MegaLast Lip Color for yourself. Get them here.
Nicole is a multi-media journalist and contributing writer for African Girls Killing It. Follow her on Twitter @NcolAlexandira